UK’s First Certified Passivhaus Industrial Building
Conker Conservation are delighted to announce that it has received Passivhaus certification for Greendale Studio, the first industrial premises to be certified in the UK, built for Cooke Industries.
The building posed a considerable challenge in meeting the passivhaus criteria, due to its surface area to floor area ratio (required by planning restrictions and building usage) and by the industrial fume extract and lighting design necessary for a commercial art studio.
Other features include:
- 3m high loading door, insulated to passivhaus level, with a U value of 0.67 W/m²K.
- Triple glazed frameless picture windows to the south west elevation.
- Rammed chalk mass wall to stabilise internal temperatures.
- Wood pellet fired district heating system serving the 3 properties on the site.
- Externally the building is clad in finger jointed sweet chestnut from Kent and East Sussex.
- The roof has 5.6m² of solar thermal panels.
- 22.5m² of photovoltaics generating electricity.
- Architect & project management: J Cooke
- Main contractor, airtightness, finishes: Ecolibrium Solutions Ltd
- Services design: PCS Consulting Services Ltd
- Renewable services installation: The Wood Stove Shop Ltd
- Structural engineer: S C Green Ltd
- Timber frame erection: Eco Frame Systems Ltd
- Planning consultants, technical design, Passivhaus designer: Conker Conservation Ltd
- Passivhaus Certifier: Warm
- Rammed chalk training: Ramcast CIC