RIBA’s House of the Year
Learn more about the RIBA’s controversial choice for House of the Year:
Conker were involved with the project from 2012. We helped to bring the house as close to Passivhaus standard as possible, which we felt was the best way to ensure it met the airtightness and thermal targets for compliance with planning condition for Code for Sustainable Homes level 6.
- assisted with material selection including 450mm of light and dense grade wood fibre over CLT and concrete panels above ground level
- we persuaded the engineer to accept the concept of placing the whole building on an insulating layer of Foamglas
- worked out airtight details and specified suitable tape and membrane products
- helped eliminate thermal bridges, analysing dozens of detailed drawings
- provided U value and condensation risk assessments
- advised on window selection
- advised on ventilation and ductwork detailing
- helped with air leakage training and inspected the site prior to air testing. Tested by Paul Jennings to 0.7ach or 0.95m³/m²hr.